Friday, January 9, 2009

December 26th

I'm not entirely sure which is worse....December 26th or January 2nd. Both of these days suck. If I had a million dollars and I could use said million dollars to erase both of these days from the calendar, I might do it. I'd more likely just pay off my house and go to Mexico but I'd definitely at least look into the whole idea.

After thorough deliberation, I had decided that December 26th was actually the worst day of the year. I think that's because Christmas is the best day of the year. It's kind of the best thing Earth has going for it. If you live in some country that doesn't celebrate this holiday, you are missing out. You should buy a tree and hang some stockings and watch Frosty the Snowman on YouTube.

Christmas just makes me feel all nice inside.....so much so that I actually don't even understand the annual we're commercializing Christmas and it's a travesty debate. People get all hot and bothered over the fact the Home Depot has trees and Santa figurines out in August. I say bring them out in June. Let's make this thing a six month ordeal. You know everybody secretly feels that way....they're just not saying it. That's why the 26th is so awful. We have this beautiful build up and we're all buzzing around town for a few months drinking cider and listening to carols and wishing we lived in some up-state New York town that's got two feet of snow and a Trolley and a fat guy named Earl that owns a hardware store and gives advice to the locals about how to hang their Christmas lights and hands out those little peppermint candies no one eats to little kids and then it just goes away overnight....literally. We wake up on the morning after Christmas and it's like waking up from a really bad dream where the Broncos fire Mike Shanahan and everything is in total turmoil and oh no we're going to miss the playoffs for the next five years and then.......breathe.

Oh wait that happened.

But then I re-deliberated. I don't think that's a word....re-deliberate. I suppose you can re- anything if you want to. Sue me. January 2nd is the worst day of the year hands down. Now compared to the month of February it's not so bad. I would spend my million dollars getting rid of February. And Texas. But back to 1/2. It's supposed to be like a new beginning or something. It's the day everybody goes to the gym because they have to fulfill their New Years resolution to get healthy and stop eating processed cheese products and drinking so much beer. And they can't go on January 1st because they're eating processed cheese products and drinking so much beer. January 2nd is not a new beginning. It's the day after the new beginning. It's like the day after driving a new car home that you bought from a dude who lives 8 hours away and now you're just content to let it sit in the driveway while you sack out on the couch and try to convince yourself that those seats really are comfortable and my back doesn't hurt at all and this really was a good purchase and that guy was only getting rid of this car because he wanted a newer car I mean people get rid of cars all the time with 2600 miles on them right?

I'm just going to cast my vote right now that we go from Christmas to March. Unless the Broncos somehow make it to the Super Bowl in the coming years. Then I vote we go Christmas-Super Bowl Sunday-March.

1 comment:

brandonjane said...

ben, your crazy. but thats why we like you.